Bloomington Farm Stop Collective, Inc.
Date Posted: February 11, 2021
Position: Rose Hill Farm Stop Manager
Location: 902 West Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington, Indiana
Job Type: Full Time
Opening in 2021,the Bloomington farm stop is a non-profit agricultural cooperative, operating as a consignment based retail and aggregation space that exclusively sells local food, grown and raised by area farmers or prepared by food artisans. This project is inspired by the successful Argus Farm Stop in Ann Arbor, Michigan and represents an important step toward building a stronger local food system in the Bloomington community. We seek to increase the amount of food that consumers buy from local farms and empower farmers with greater ownership of the food distribution system. The Rose Hill Farm Stop will include two key food sales components: 1) a direct to consumer retail store front and 2) an online market platform connecting farmers & food artisans with institutional food buyers. A small in-store cafe with a full menu of coffee, teas, and baked goods will subsidize operations. This component of the store will also serve to build relationships, by encouraging customers to interact with each other and the farmers who stop by to make deliveries. The farm stop will also host regular events about local food, agriculture, and healthy cooking.
The Rose Hill Farm Stop Manager position will initially focus on developing systems and building a strong team to run this new store, aggregation hub, and cafe. After opening, the Manager will oversee all store operations in order to maximize food and cafe sales. The Manager will collaborate with the Board of Directors in all store planning and mission execution. The Manager must be deeply passionate about local food and farms and committed to the Bloomington community.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop operating systems for a new consignment based, local focused grocery, online market platform, and cafe
- Hire and oversee a team of staff
- Coordinate and plan with local farmers and food artisans to keep the store well stocked
- Build positive relationships with the general public and provide excellent customer service
- Plan special community events about local food
- Develop and execute marketing strategies to promote the farm stop
- Prepare and maintain store inventory records, financial reports, and any other required business documentation; submit and authorize payroll; plan and execute annual budgets
- Create and maintain a clean, appealing, abundant store aesthetic
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience in grocery and/or farmers market operations
- Prior experience in cafe operations
- Ability to implement and adapt a business plan
- Proficiency with various computer programs including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, WordPress, Quickbooks, social media, etc.
- Experience supervising staff
- Highly detailed and organized
- Ability and desire to work with people of many different backgrounds
- Efficient, dependable, adaptable, kind, passionate
- Should possess outstanding customer service, listening, and de-escalation skills
- Ability to maintain a calm and upbeat demeanor in situations of high volume, stress, or unusual events
- Flexible schedule availability
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds
- ServSafe certification
Annual Salary: $40,000-$50,000 based on experience after an initial training period paid at $25 per hour.
Paid time off
Health care stipend
Submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in this position and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until March 15, 2021 or until the position has been filled.